Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Rest Day?! We Don't Need No Stinkin Rest Day!!

That's right....

Rest day.

I hate them but people tell me I need them. A day to let your muscles repair and get stronger before you head back out to beat them down again. A day to regain mental focus and just enjoy "being off".

Rest days do not work for me. They are horrible. That is that.

So what will I do on my "rest days" you may ask? Wait for it....yoga.  Not just any yoga, yoga in a brewery. Yoga in a brewery with about 50 of your closest friends. And when I say close...I mean you can't spread your arms without taking your neighbors head off close.

It is awesome. Take that back...it is beyond awesome...it is amazing. In that one hour of yoga I believe I sweated more than I normally do after miles running. My legs feel like they are going to fall off at any minute. They are literally shaking. I think I left my butt back at the brewery. I know I left my pride there. I would say over 50% of the people there were what I would call "friggin pros." They made black stretch pants look good. I loved every minute. I left feeling like a different person. I will be there every week...just like I am at the brewery running every week. I wonder if they will do a neat little shirt?!

Years ago I took pilates classes every week and loved them. This felt the same way. I know it will help improve balance and build the core...which will help with future races...ski trips...AND one day...*drum role please* my 400 mile/ 7 day bike trip in the Rockies. Yes, another adventure to add to my list: Bike The Rockies.

Now, how can this be a bad thing? You can have teams of up to 10 people....and for 6-7 days you bike 400 miles in the Rockies. At each stop in town you set up tents....grab a bite and have a good ol time with about 2000 people you have never met before. Nothing can go wrong...this will be wonderful. It is on a friends bucket list...and we may die while doing it but we will be there. Colorado in June/July...no problem :)

Actually, with winter coming I have been thinking that skiing and bike training may be good to add to the running. I figure it will give the knees and joints a break while keeping the muscles working. Not too shabby.

Tomorrow it is back to the trails/grass. We will see how the post-yoga legs do. Hopefully I will be floating on clouds. If not, there is enough Tylenol to get me thru it!




No comments:

Post a Comment