Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It's A Concrete Jungle Out There...

Who is up for some math?! Oh common! We still have a few days before Christmas break, stop complaining.

Alright, here we go. Sharpen your pencils and try this equation...

2 police cruisers + 2 city buses+ 1 oblivious red head + uneven sidewalks + darkness = ???

If you guessed: 1 bloody knee, 1 scraped up hand, and 1 swollen ankle....then you are right! Give yourselves a pat on the pack.

Now, last night was not a trail or park run night. It was my traditional West Sixth Brewery run club night. The weather was nice and warm and traffic was bustling. Apparently so much so that something happened with a city bus at the corner of Broadway and West Sixth. Now I, being on the sidewalks and spending most my time paying attention to my music and feet, failed to notice the police cruisers coming up on my side of the road to park by the bus. By the time I did notice them, I quickly moved to the "inner" sidewalk. The rest is just history....ending in a total wipe out. The funny thing is that I had not even had any beer yet at the brewery. I was still on my way!

If there is one thing I have learned during my running adventures, it is that I am a fast faller. I do it well. My body instinctively gets right back up after wiping out, so you can imagine my surprise when I fell and found myself just sitting on the sidewalk looking around. I took inventory and did the ol' "spit shine" on my hand...determined that my pants would soak up the blood from the knee..and patiently waited for my ankle to blow up like a balloon. The good news is that my ankle seems to have made it thru with just a little swelling. I rolled it on the little ditch between the sidewalk and grass but did not do any major spraining.  (Insert over dramatic picture of slightly sprained ankle)



The entertaining part of the whole thing was that the police officer saw me do it. I think it surprised him and he was left wondering where I came from and what happened. He came over to inquire if I was ok or not...to which I replied "Yeah, I'm good...I am just going to keep running to the BREWERY down the road". I am sure that sounded good. He looked a little puzzled as I ran off...but hey...I had friends and beer waiting for me. I had to suck it up and carry on.

I am a little sore today... but probably being dramatic :)  I think yoga is out as my hand and ankle would probably be pretty uncomfortable in down dog and plank. I may test the ankle out in the park tonight...or I could start Christmas shopping...since I have like no time left for that!

In other news, this blog blew up yesterday after my entry on Kilian Jornet's Summits of My Life movie. Totally unexpected but that is what you get if you don't check your FB privacy settings :)  The string of obscenities and "no, no, no" that came out of my mouth when I checked the dashboard and saw over 8K views instead of my traditional 125 was priceless. I will admit, I was scared shit less. This was something I did more for entertainment and my friends, so it pretty much jacked me up the whole day. Now that I think about it....instead of blaming myself for my embarrassing wipe out on the road...I now blame them...I demand a t-shirt for my pain and suffering :)  Just kidding...to have someone actually take time to read your words and then tell you they appreciate it...it is really neat. I was like a giddy 5 year old on Christmas morning...although I did spend most the day in the back of my mind praying for no negative comments! So far so good.....

 


No comments:

Post a Comment