Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Oh That Vertical High!!

Oh Happy Day!

Today was the first real test of the legs with some vertical trail and it was beyond wonderful! It has me so excited for the end of the week....I can barely stand it!

Of course, the day started off like any day should...with a trip to the local donut shop! I decided it was up to me to be the "early morning hero of the house" and head out down the hill to provide everyone with good old fashioned nourishment (hehehe...ok....so it was 8:00...still early in my book.) I suited up and managed to only partially freeze my ass off on the way down, making amazing time along the way. Upon arrival I quickly started heading south when I needed to be heading north and managed to go over 1/2 mile out of the way before turning around and backtracking. Turns out the donut shop I've been looking for is RIGHT NEXT to the Vertical Runner, the running shop I have visited just about every day since I got here. How I did not know this before today is beyond me...but lesson learned. I even got props from the donut man since I was "working out and getting donuts".  Unlike yesterday, this morning the streets were a little busier. I felt kind of odd running around there because it seemed like everyone driving through town was staring at me out their window. I mean...common...there is UROC starting from here in a few days...people are going to be running!

(This is such a big thing for me)




Anyway, after making it back up the hill it was pool time and I can honestly say my legs have never been happier. It is such a wonderful way for me to stretch out my muscles and get my legs ready for the day ahead. I took it easy this afternoon, mostly lounging around the house and taking a nice nap before heading back downtown to do a little shopping. Like this morning, the streets were busier and I can't say I am a real fan. The UROC banner is up...and while it is mostly transparent (so as not to hide the beautiful mountain behind it) it is still a very intimidating presence. It almost has me terrified that any of the participants would actually see me running. Why? I don't know. Perhaps it is because I am here working on a dream of mine which is like *teeny tiny* compared to what these guys and gals will be doing in a few days. They probably do what is a huge thing for me before breakfast! Still, I try to remind myself that it is the passion and love of the mountains and trails that bring everyone to the same place...so I guess we are equals when it comes to that.

(The start of some amazing trails)


Once I was back home I hit the trails around 6:00. I was not too worried about losing sun since I knew I was heading quite a bit up hill and had a pretty direct route down. The run was amazing. I will admit, my legs were burning about half way through, but just when I started to crap out I was able to get some incredible views of the mountains. They were right in front of me almost the entire way. All I wanted to do was run to them. It was such motivation. I even came across a lake about 1/2 way up that had the most amazing reflection of both the sunset and the snow covered mountains. It was like something out of a book. I had never felt so alive!! I sat for a while and just soaked it all in...trying to find trails up the hills to the mountains that I could take in the next few days. It was almost heartbreaking when the sun let me know it was time to head back by rapidly setting behind the mountains. Quickly I made my way back down hill (working my quads quite a bit along the way) and arrived home...winded...exhausted...and so happy! As you can imagine, the pool was needed but really did not feel that good. I am skipping the gym tonight and letting my legs rest. My poor calves ache and are sensitive to the touch, so I see some ice and compression in my future.

(Stopped me in my tracks...)

(Lovely trails)



I will probably do the same vertical route for the next few days to really get my legs used to the grade change. I am slowly getting used to the fact that compared to Kentucky, Colorado has no oxygen. Plenty of air...but no oxygen....hehehe :) As for pictures...I took quite a few...just jump on my FB page...I made them public :)

So that is it. I am resting once again...fire place going....door open....blankets on...and soccer on TV! I hope everyone is having a great week! From what I have been reading, Kentucky is having some amazing weather. We got to 59 here and it felt like summer! I can't imagine how long it is going to take to get used to the heat when I get back home. Hey...at least I will be ready to ROCK Bourbon Chase!

No comments:

Post a Comment